THREE GOOD REASONS TO GET TO KZN THIS SUMMER HOLIDAY
An all-year-round, continental, showpiece destination, KwaZulu-Natal has eight unique regions that each has its own distinct qualities & essence. We explore the top attractions in three of these areas: Durban Metro, Elephant Coast & Zululand.
Durban Metro. Pulsating. Energetic.
The coastal city of Durban, the “sunniest place to be,” is a vibrant cauldron of Zulu, African, Indian & colonial cultures. Top three must-dos are:
- Walk the Golden Mile: A stunning seafront promenade that stretches all the way from uShaka Marine World to the iconic Moses Mabhida Stadium.
- Fun in the sun at uShaka Marine World: Winner of the “Durban’s Best Attraction” & “KZN Visitor Experience of the Year” awards & dubbed “South Africa’s most loved marine themed park.” It offers non-stop entertainment in the form of an oceanarium, water rides, dolphin & penguin shows & much, much more.
- Excitement & romance at Moses Mabhida Stadium: This monumental stadium with its futuristic architecture was host to the 2010 FIFA World Cup & offers a variety of experiences including a SkyCar ride up the stadium arch.
Elephant Coast. Meet Mother Nature at her best.
The Elephant Coast is a top eco-tourism destination that is home to some of Mother Nature’s most precious treasures that can be explored through hiking, forest & dune trails, walking, scuba diving, boat cruises, canoeing & game viewing:
- The internationally renowned Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park: Known for its sterling work in rhino conservation, this game reserve is home to 1000 plus white rhino, elephant, lion, leopard & buffalo – offering a genuine Big 5 experience.
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park – a nature lover’s paradise: A world heritage site, the park consists of several game reserves, coastal lakes, subtropical forests, swamps & wetlands that are rich in birdlife & indigenous fauna & flora.
- The beaches of Kosi Bay & Sodwana Bay: From November to January, the adorable endangered loggerhead & leatherback turtles can be seen laying their eggs in the dunes on these beaches.
Zululand. Experience true Zulu culture.
The Zululand region also boasts several magnificent nature & game reserves, but what really sets it apart, is the opportunity it presents to experience true Zulu traditions & culture:
- Shakaland Cultural Village: Described as a “living monument to Zulu culture” & the “greatest Zulu experience in Africa,” Shakaland Cultural Village was originally built as a movie set for the production of the Shaka Zulu movie that feature the extraordinary life & times of this famous Zulu warrior & king. Post the movie – it was converted into a Zulu village where visitors can get unparalleled insights in the traditional Zulu systems, fighting formations & way of life.
- DumaZulu Traditional Zulu Village: Visitors get to reconnect with nature while getting a real cultural experience. Sleep in ethnic huts, watch locals make spears, baskets & clay pots, get a one-on-one reading from a real Sangoma (African healer), listen to the beat of the drum & taste homebrewed Zulu beer.
All three these regions have a wealth of other memorable activities & awe-inspiring attractions that are worthy of exploring. Click here for more information on things to do in Durban, Elephant Coast or Zululand.