034 315 3318 (Telephone)
034 312 9815 (Fax)
Physical AddressTown Hall
Postal AddressPO Box 2220
Newcatle was originally known as Post Halt Two on the journey between Port Natal-Durban and the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (Transvaal), the town was referred to as Viljoensdorp by the Boers during their brief occupation in 1899. At the junction of three provinces, this 'natural' destination and departure point for travellers is now the largest town in northern KwaZulu- Natal...with all the amenities and advantages of city life a mere ten minutes' drive from scenic, pristine mountain countryside.
Newcastle was named after the Earl of Newcastle who was, in 1864, the Colonial Secretary in Queen Victoria's Government. The township was set out by Dr Sutherland who later became the Surveyor General of Natal.
This cosmopolitan character is celebrated annually over the first week in September - with the International Village Festival.
For more information on the KwaZulu-Natal town of Newcastle please make use of the following menu.