Select a Region

SELECT A REGION

Filter by

316
Places Found

Show only bookable

First War of Independence; O ' Neill'sCottage

Farm Stonewall 3109, Newcastle District, 2940

(033) 394 6543
amafa.pmb@pixie.co.za

The cottage, on the south-east slopes of Majuba mountain, was used for signing the agreement between British and Boer forces to restore the Transvaal’s independence after the Battle of Majuba.The cottage is on the farm...

Fort Amiel, Newcastle

Fort Street, Newcastle, 2940

Fort Amiel wasbuilt in 1876 by Major C.F. Amiel as one of a series of British forts in these parts. It was a, British military base from 1876 to 1902, including the first Anglo Boer war of 1880 to 1881. It is now a museu...

Fort Dunford Museum

Kemps Road, Estcourt, 3100

Erected shortly after the Langalibalele Rebellion to counter raiding San(Bushmen). Magnificent stone structure overlooking the town of Estcourt. Houses a fine museum.

Fort Helpmekaar

3000

An entrenched laager was formed on the night of the IsandlwanaBattle, but it was replaced during the following weeks by a strong earthwork fort.The latter wasbuilt by the Fifth Company Royal Engineers under Captain W. Pa...

Fort Lawrence

3183

The fort was built by a company of the 24th, under Captain H.B.Lawrence. Anglo-Zulu war of 1879.

Fort Mistake

Farm Quagga's Kirk 1168, Klip River District, 2940

(034) 212 2121

This signalling post was built during the war of 1881 and is one in the line that stretched north from Ladysmith to Newcastle.

Fort Pine

Farm Sheepmoor District Rd 357, 3000

(034) 2122654
info@talana.co.za

Fort Pine was built in 1878 by the Royal Engineers for the protection of the civilian population of Dundee.

Fort Terror

New Castle, 2940

The remain of this old signalling post can be seen at Blue Ridge Guest Farm just outside Newcastle on the Ladysmith road.

Fort Warwick

It is now a small and mutilated earth work. It was built in June 1879 by a company of the 2/24th, under Captain J.J. Harvey.

Fort Whitehead

3000

The fort was built by the 58th Regiment and named after their colonel. It was used during the Anglo-Zulu war.