How To Establish A Community Tourism and Information Office

How To Establish A Community Tourism and Information Office



A Community Tourism Office is a community-owned and managed office for the promotion of member organisations (other tourism establishments) and the provision of information to tourists. The concept of community-based organisations is advocated by the White Paper on the Development and Promotion of Tourism in South Africa (1996).



Space and Infrastructure

Discuss with TKZN whether you have enough space to cope with the type of activities you have in mind. Office infrastructure is needed, including access to telephones, fax and electricity. A computer with an internet connection is advised.



Your Local or District Municipality can advise on the parking requirements for your type of activity.


Amenity Value

An attractive or appealing tourism office environment may be created with posters and maps (these are available from TKZN, SA Tourism and the like) and will be supported by being located in attractive, clean and well-kept surroundings.



Ensure that your site is easy to get to for the general public and easily found. Also ensure that it is accessible by private and public transport.

The Local Municipality has controls for the erection of any signs. If new access onto streets is needed, the local

Municipality will usually construct them at the cost of the developer.

Permission must be obtained from the Department of Transport to construct new access points onto main roads outside the Local Municipal areas.




•  Land Use Zoning – Approach the Local Municipality to establish whether the Town Planning Scheme permits the activity on the site you have chosen. The establishment of a new enterprise in which the present use is substantially changed may require a scoping report (a report outlining likely environmental impacts) to be prepared in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (107 of 1998). The Provincial Department of Agriculture and Environmental Affairs should be consulted in this regard, as well as for information on any changes in legislation;

•  Licensing and Registration – Approach the District Municipality to register your enterprise. Seek to have the annual levy waived because of the purpose of the enterprise;

•  Regulations and By-Laws – Approach your Local Municipality for guidelines on fire risk to ensure that you have adequate fire control equipment and arrangements and to ensure that your plans comply with their regulations on water, electricity, sewerage, noise and the like;

•  Other Legal Requirements – If you wish to erect a road sign in the road reserve area (as distinct from on your own property), advertising your business, then you need approval from:

•  Department of Transport in the case of national roads;

•  The Facility Signs Committee in the Provincial Department of Transport in the case of secondary roads;

•  The Local Municipal Engineer in the case of local roads within a Local Municipality area;

Policy – TKZN and the Department of Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs(EDTEA) should be consulted for updates

  on policy.



The structure of your enterprise may also be obtained from business advice centres.


Your office should prepare a constitution which sets out its exact purpose, together with likely membership, including tourism businesses, such as B&Bs, eating houses, tour operators, craft manufacturers and the like.These types of enterprises should have the opportunity to become members, so that their tourism services can be advertised through the office. Membership should be encouraged from all sectors of society.

Budgets are based on past experience, current state of affairs and future expectations. Budgets will help provide an estimate of financial requirements in the execution of plans in the operation. Types of budgets include:

•  Sales budget: a forecast of expected monthly income;

•  Materials budget: expected purchases;

•  Labour budget: expected remunerations and number of workers;

•  Capital budget: expected fixed assets expenditure, e.g.: machinery, land and the like;

•  Cash budget: expected working capital requirements over a specific period.



•  Business Advice Centres:

   Durban: (031) 308 9920

   Pietermaritzburg: (033) 264 3100

•  Business Partners Limited:

   Durban: (031) 240 7700

   Richards Bay: (035) 789 7301

•    Department of Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs

(EDTEA): (033) 264 2500

•   Department of Trade and Industry:

(012) 322 7677

KZN Regional office: (031) 305 3389

• Department of Local Government & Housing:

   Durban: (031) 204 1771

   Pietermaritzburg: (033) 395 2111

   Ulundi: (035) 874 2783

•  Durban Chamber of Commerce and Industry

   (031) 335 1000

•   Ithala Development Finance Corporation Limited:

(031) 907 8911

•   Provincial Planning and Development Commission:

(033) 395 3066

•  South African Tourism (SA Tourism):

(011) 895 3000

•   Southern Africa Tourism Services Association (SATSA):

086 127 2872/(011) 866 9996

•   South African Community Tourism Association:

(033) 330 6192

•  Tourism KwaZulu-Natal (TKZN):

(031) 366 7500