(033) 394 6543 (Telephone)
(033) 342 6097 (Fax)
Physical Address890 Bellair Road
Postal AddressP O Box 2685
The original (First River) temple was built in 1875, but was destroyed by the Umbilo river in 1905. It was the first Hindu temple on the African continent. The present building was erected in 1946. Firewalking is performed in Easter each year. Nandi, the bull of Shiva, is in evidence at the entrance. The temple was declared a national monument in February 1980.